Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Days of December 15 {Books}


It's been quite a long time since a book{worm} wednesday. Just recently a friend let me borrow Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage, and at the same time, I started Tolstoy's War and Peace. This seems a strange and ill-planned reading list for the last couple weeks of Advent and I'm not sure what I was thinking. So, both of those may go on hold until the New Year and in the meantime I have been gathering a few of our favorite Christmas reads for the kids. There are a few new finds as well, thanks to a well stocked and thoughtful supply at our school's Elementary Library.

But beyond a short book list, I also want to share a place I've begun to visit regularly. Some of you may remember my timid raving about a new author I was introduced to and her book, Velma Still Cooks in Leeway. Well, my interest has hardly waned and since that time I've been sent a few more of her novels, both of which my husband and I have mused slowly over, and fully enjoyed.

She is not flashy, she is not overly original. She is not poetic like an Alan Paton or profound like a Chaim Potok. But she is exquisitely real, and an observer of the grave realities of life and the presence of God's grace. She writes about small towns, and small lives, people who are very much like ourselves and with all the wonders and flaws we too possess. I love her stories.

So anyway, Mrs. Wright also has a website where she somewhat regularly posts writings: poems, prompts, or some of her own short fiction stories. Right now she is doing a four part Advent Fiction about an old farmer. You can read along here.

Now, onto our list. Merry Christmas reading everyone!

Treasures of the Snow by Patricia St. John.
I have wonderful memories of my mother reading this book to our family growing up. There is so much to love about it, it's set in the Alps for goodness sake, at Christmas-time. But dear Annette has much to learn about friendship, loyalty, and ultimately forgiveness.

The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston (picture book)
This is a new read for us this year. It has beautiful, magical illustrations and a lovely story about a young girl in the Appalachians during one of the World Wars.

Hilarious story told from the eyes of a young girl about the misfit family in town that takes over the Church Christmas Pageant. Endearing and fun at the same time.

The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett (picture book)
I really enjoy this author and the beautiful, unique illustrations. This particular story is a new one this year... haven't even read it yet.

The Christmas Stories of George MacDonald
George MacDonald. That's all I need to say. These stories are a bit old for my children, so they mainly look at the pictures. But I enjoy reading them, and I'm hopeful they will too in the years to come.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear what you think of "Committed" when you finally get to read it. Unlike "Eat, Pray, Love" (which I enjoyed but promptly forgot about), I'm still pondering some of the points she brought up in "Committed". Especially those regarding marriage's effects on women.

    ReplyDelete