Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Little Things

Obviously, the past week and a half has been life changing and tumultuous. I can only imagine that the days will continue to be so, at least for some time, but I don't expect this space to reflect my daily emotional journey, so I will try to be honest without spilling myself or my dear friends all over these posts in a way that is not appropriate. My heart is heavy, but buoyant with hope. Our friends will head home to have a funeral for their son, and then back to life here for a time- though an uncertain one. Thank you to so many who have been praying for them. The days ahead are not easy ones.

In the meantime, life goes on, as it does... even when you think it ought not to. But there is something hopeful in that too.

Yesterday I took my two boys out grocery shopping, and we stopped for a snack and a coffee (or vitamin water depending on your age). I told them that when you have coffee, you have to "talk." Skills promptly responded with, "About the government, right?" Sure, the government is always a good place to start. He wanted to talk about North Korea's government in particular and how they don't let people leave their country. It was fun to ask him why he thought that wasn't right and what he thought the responsibility of a government was.

 Meanwhile, four year old Curls was staring at us through his berry flavored water and interjected with, "you guys look  really red right now..."

Then I told them that politics is great conversation, but sharing a coffee also means you have to talk about what's going on in your heart (this is my version of a coffee date... stimulating topics and baring your soul), which elicited some "secrets" that had been lurking about some older girls who reportedly have a crush on this, my oldest son. He's six. We discussed who their best girl is right now (me) and how long that will be the case (til their married), to which Curls replied that even after he was married he would still love me the best. We'll work on that later... don't worry future daughter-in-law.

Other gems of the day included when I was making dinner and Curls asked, "what are we having???" to which I replied, "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.... and vegetables."
"Which vegetables?"
"Broccoli and cauliflower."
"Broccoli and hedgehogs???" (we think he may have hearing issues)
"Have I ever served you hedgehogs for dinner?"
"What??
"Never mind."

Sweet moments, and full of nonsense. And each one of them seems more precious than ever when I think of how little separates us from here and eternity.

2 comments:

  1. were those older girls me and miss reiley? don't forget that according to curls (back in Jan 2010), i am going to marry ryley and curls is going to marry miss reiley!

    love the conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfort and peace for your friends during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete