Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Moments {kitchen dreams}

Sometimes I daydream about what a kitchen could really be... not philosophically or anything, just the plain, bare-bones wood and tile, ceramic and stainless steel make up of it.

It could be spacious, with pine flooring that shines from the sunlight streaming in through large, french paned windows. It could have countertops that wrap and roam for miles around the perimeter, like a freshly mown path that just waits to be trampled on with kneading and chopping, hot baking pans and bowls of ingredients, and maybe three or four little bums that want an aerial view.

It could have sinks like bathtubs, so deep you have to bend and reach with your fingertips to scour the gleaming white enamel. It could have cupboards that reach to the sky (which I could reach, because I am just that tall) and pantries that you could get lost in (or lose someone in). I even know someone that has two ovens, stacked right on top of each other. A Thanksgiving Day dream.

And best of all, or sort of best because really all those things seem like "bests" to me, it could have a large table with six or even eight chairs gathered around it, that sits by a window and gathers bodies from wherever they wander and lets them join you, right there, where all the cooking and talking and making and pouring and all manner of wonderful things takes place.

It really is just a dream though, isn't it? I know some of you have all those things... and it doesn't mean your life is rosy or your family close, or the struggle to do housework vanishes down the drain of that bottomless sink.

Our kitchen here is nice, though it reminds me of cooking in a camper sometimes, like those old pop-up Jayco's my family spent our growing years wandering around the country in. But you get used to what you have, and I know this has been true for me (outside of daydreaming).

On days like today though, when I have twenty things going at once and everything is fighting for space (and losing), I can get a little twitchy. But eventually everything finds it place, and gets its turn in the oven, or its run through the doll house size sink. And we have also managed to learn to shop a bit differently, which means cooking a bit differently, and maybe planning a bit differently too. My kids may not all be able to land a seat on the counter at the same time (which really isn't necessary or sanitary anyway), but those same counters are also low enough (think mid thigh) that peering over them is made a bit easier.

And the table I think would bring everyone together? It likely would, but small houses can make for strong love too.

And cookie dough stuck to your heel can make you wake out of a daydream...

6 comments:

  1. I read this in my reader, without noticing the byline, and thinking it was posted on another friend's blog. As I read it, I was thinking that this other friend was suddenly and inexplicably eloquent and descriptive when she is usually succinct. It thought it was really out of character, but I also thought that, since she has recently moved into a new house in China, her new (smaller?) kitchen perhaps motivated her in a new way. Then I clicked over to comment and saw that it was yours, not hers, and now it all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hunt through the web to pick the best choice of construction organizations for your kitchen. Think about costs and match the plans for your genuine inclinations in the best way. granite countertops and quartz countertops stores near me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supplant the entryways and cabinet fronts, and complete the front and side boards with new facade. These materials are accessible at your handyman shop in a shocking assortment of styles. kitchen countertops in Olathe ks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regardless of whether you simply claim a little kitchen, take care not to let this hamper your kitchen rebuild venture. instant pots accessories

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to present something back and help others such as you helped me. PLease go to site 192.168.l.254

    ReplyDelete