Sunday, July 4, 2010

Ricotta to Rest: Last Two Dishes... To Die For!


Way too many puns in that title.

I have now used up all the ricotta in that wonderful first batch from a few days ago. These last two recipes are so delicious and fresh and full of summer flavor. I'm also on this salad kick so it was exciting to find one that could use up some of my overzealous jar of homemade cheese.
The salad is from a great food blog found here. Definitely not my own discovery... I find nothing original on my own but humbly admit I am usually a mere follower. Most of the salads on her list looked amazing to me, but this one was a winner because of this list of ingredients:
  • asparagus (love, love that my dad is growing it in his garden!)
  • broccoli (love like a faithful friend)
  • orzo pasta (can't get... I used couscous instead-- love)
  • sprouts (love in a it's-weird-that-I-like-to-eat-things-that-taste-like-grass-but-I-do kind of way)
  • fresh lemon juice, olive oil, garlic (love, love, love)
  • feta cheese (love, but I had ricotta and it worked great)
  • toasted almonds (love them, eat them, especially with chocolate but that wouldn't work here...)
  • avocado (oh my)
  • cucumber (love it like it's the middle of summer and nothing says it like the crunch of a fresh cuke!)

All together this combination is amazing and light, but filling and healthy, delicious and satisfying. It's not something I would eat every day like some previously drooled over dishes. Maybe it's because of the stronger flavors? But I will definitely make it again.

Next up: Pesto Chicken and Ricotta Pizza


We make a lot of homemade pizza here and though they usually have to include pepperoni and lots of mozza cheese, I tried a friend's combination the other night and it was so wonderful, made with... ricotta! I used chicken tossed in pesto, fresh cherry tomatoes, yellow and red bell peppers with red onion tossed in olive oil and salt, and a simple garlic white sauce as the base (and a light sprinkling of mozza too). 

So now my jar is empty, but I have loved every minute of consuming it. Still on the hunt for good salads. I'm thinking something fruity/cheesy/nutty for the next one...



1 comment:

  1. That pizza was AWESOME! Thank you for sharing it :P

    ReplyDelete